Wardrobe malfunctions are the absolute worst. There’s nothing like putting on your favorite dress and noticing it’s covered in lint balls just as you’re ready to walk out the door, or popping a button in the middle of the day that you should’ve sewn on tighter last night. We’ve all been there, but the good news is we don’t have to be there and be embarrassed, thanks to these style hacks from Zerina Akers.
Akers is known for styling some of our favorite A-list beauties like Ava DuVernay, Beyoncé, Yara Shahidi, Chloe x Halle and more. And she even did a quick style transformation on me a few months back courtesy of Dove. This time though, the stylist isn’t teaching us how to dress, she’s showing us what to do should you run into a problem when you already are. From loose buttons to slippery shoes, here are six of Akers’ wardrobe malfunction quick fixes.
- Keep a button in place with clear nail polish. If a button is loose and you don’t have time to re-sew it into place, take some clear nail polish and dab it on the knot, then hold the button in place for a minute. It acts as glue and will make it more secure until you can get a proper fix!
2. Use a spritz of hairspray to prevent growing stocking runs. Prevent a run in your stockings from growing bigger with hairspray. Simply spray the area where the run started and it will hold the fabric together.
3 .Avoid deodorant white marks by using Dove Invisible Dry Spray Antiperspirant. It goes on dry and invisible, leaving no white marks on 100 different colors.
4. File your soles for a non-slip grip. If you have a pair of shoes with slick bottoms, buff the sole with an emery board to prevent you from slipping and to add traction.
5. Lose the fuzz with a pass of a razor. When garments start to pill from the wash, you can remove the fuzz with a razor. Simply run the razor lightly over the area and then carefully remove the pieces that collect. Repeat until all the pills are gone!
6. Unstick that zipper with Vaseline. When a zipper just won’t budge, you can rub a bit of Vaseline along where it is stuck. The Vaseline will help the zipper slide and wiggle free!